Sunday, May 10, 2009

Miami on the Hudson - Jersey City Deco

At some point in my travels through the neighborhood, I started to notice a set of small apartment buildings on the side streets off of JFK Boulevard, between Montgomery and Communipaw Avenues. I found these buildings tucked in between the houses and larger apartment blocks and they reminded me of the great Art Deco buildings in Miami Beach, minus the stucco and the bright colors. They're smallish, four or five stories, mostly light yellow brick, with stylish Deco details. This being Jersey City, they're in various states of repair, the bones are good, but the in some cases the details have been knocked about. The doorways are mostly charming, with nice brick details and some fancy ironwork. The cornices have some great details as well, terra cotta I suppose. I rode around on my bike and took these pictures - I thought you might enjoy this taste of JC Art Deco.








No comments: